References for infographic, "Why You Should Eat Crickets".
- Nutrition per 100g of cricket flour [R]:
- 2x the protein of beef [R, R]
- 6x the B12 of wild salmon [R, R]
- More omega-3 fatty acids than wild salmon [R, R]
- Omega-6 to omega-3 ratio of 2:1, closer to an ancestral diet [R, R]
- Iron in similar amounts to beef [R, R]
- Probiotic fiber from exoskeletons which may improve gut health and reduce inflammation [R]
- All 9 essential amino acids [R]
- Greenhouse gases could be cut by a factor of 100x [R, p63].
- Water scarcity is estimated to impact 1.8B people by 2025 [R, p64]
- Crickets may reduce water needs by a factor of 56x or more (depending on how water for forage and feed is counted) [R, p114].
- Land use could be reduced by 10x [R, p114].
- Feed requirements could be 12x less [R, p60].
- Feed from organic side streams [R]
- Farmed crickets can be killed more humanely [R]
- Crickets can be given “free range” opportunities in a smaller space [R].
- Harvesting of crickets occurs at the end of their natural life-cycle [R]